Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Everyone Wants to fill the Void

I recently, finally, joined the American Humanist Association by making a donation. Secularism needs all the support it can get, what with being labeled "satanic" by the mindless followers of mindless pastors who mindlessly repeat what someone has told them. Insofar as I'm a secular person who thinks people are responsible for their own destiny--they can't afford to leave it up to a God or gods who historically have shown a penchant to be skimpy on miracles when they're most needed--I'd also consider myself a humanist.

Today, however, I received in the mail a whole packet, accompanied by a cheaply-printed paper back book, of humanist literature. It's like I just joined a church. I suppose the AHA, since it's an institution, feels obligated to show its gratitude to supporters by inviting them to think institutionally. But the whole idea is that I'd just as soon not think those institutional thoughts--I can find my own ideas, thanks. But all is not lost, the humanist literature found its way quickly into the recycle bin, where pretty much all ideological stuff goes, since most of the stuff is recycled intellectuality anyway. I'm happy to be part of a movement that will ignore me but campaign heartily on its own behalf and oppose the institutions I certainly don't want filling the void I'm always busy filling for myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home